Recipe by Clare Duffus
Serving size: one small jar
- 7 small/medium Gala apples
- ¼ cup white sugar (substitute: ¼ cup maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- The juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Roughly chop the apples and discard the core. Put the chopped apples into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the white sugar, ground cloves, ground cinnamon, all spice, lemon juice, and salt to the apples and mix till combined.
- On medium heat, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan.
- Once oil is melted, add apple mixture and turn to low heat.
- Cover the saucepan and let the apple mixture simmer for 1 ½-2 hours.
- Take the apple mixture off the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Take an emersion blender or a regular blender and blend till the apple mixture has turned into a smooth consistency.
- Jar your mixture, keep refrigerated, and enjoy!
Uh, Apple Butter is vegan by nature. Nothing new here….been making it for decades.