Written by Sapphire King
Holidays are the perfect time to celebrate by indulging in various chocolate desserts (in moderation, of course). With Valentine’s Day approaching, there are all sorts of treats that you and your partner can make together, or one of you can bake something for the other. Either way, chocolate lava cakes are a quick and delicious dessert that everyone will enjoy.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this very easy-to-make dessert:
- Baking spray, for spraying custard cups
- 1 stick butter (or margarine if you want to make it a bit healthier)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Vanilla (or possibly chocolate!) ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. (For international students, this is usually about 218 degrees C.) Spray four custard cups with baking spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Microwave the butter/margarine, bittersweet chocolate, and semisweet chocolate in a large bowl on high until the butter/margarine is melted, about 1 minute. Whisk until the chocolate is also melted. Stir in the sugar until well blended. Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks, then add the vanilla. Stir in the flour. Divide the mixture among the custard cups.
- Bake until the sides are firm, and the centers are soft, about 13 minutes. Let stand for 1 minute. Invert on individual plates while warm and serve with vanilla ice cream…if you want to. You see, the ice cream flavor doesn’t have to be vanilla, even though the original recipe calls for it. If you’re a chocoholic, or if vanilla just isn’t your flavor for any type of reason, feel free to spice things up with a replacement of some chocolate ice cream! (I personally think Dutch chocolate ice cream may be a great option. I’ll even post this flavor below!)
This is a recipe that I was able to make with the help of a good friend. Speaking of friends, even if you do not have a romantic partner, this sweet treat can still be enjoyed with your girl buddies for Galentine’s Day. There’s also no law against making it with (or for) your family or someone else who really matters to you. V-Day is all about love, after all!
For more on the original recipe from Ree Drummond, visit foodnetwork.com.
Recipe source: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/chocolate-lava-cakes-2312421.
Categories: Carlow Culture, Food
Leave a Reply