Submitted by Erika Gregg
This delicious dessert will fill your heart with delight. From the filling of the apple to the sweet delicious cinnamon buttercream frosting, this delicious dessert can be made for parties, or just for a delicious snack. This fall treat is something you do not want to miss!
“These apple pie cupcakes are always a hit! They are so easy to make, and the flavor just screams fall. Of course, they are equally delicious any other time of the year.” – Jennifer Stowell, Deep River, Iowa.quote from Taste of Home
Total Time: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes: 2 dozen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 4 cups)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Thinly sliced apples, optional
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for 24 cupcakes, cool cupcakes completely.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples and brown sugar, cook, and stir until apples are tender, 10-12 minutes. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Using a paring knife, cut a 1-in, wide cone-shaped piece from the top of each cupcake; discard removed portion. Fill cavity with apple mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the 5 frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. From the cupcakes. If desired, top with apple slices to serve.
Test Kitchen Tips
- Unless otherwise specified, taste of home recipes is tested with lightly salted butter. Unsalted, or sweet, butter is sometimes used to achieve a buttery flavor, such as in shortbread cookies or buttercream frosting. In these recipes, added salt would detract from the buttery taste desired.
- Dark brown sugar contains more molasses than light or golden-brown sugar. The types are generally interchangeable in recipes. Buy if you prefer, a bolder flavor, choose dark brown sugar.
- You will not be able to get enough of these delicious apple desserts.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cupcake: 300 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 22lmg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Recipe from Taste of Home: